Quantitative Design Researcher
We’re hiring a quantitative design researcher
We’re transforming government. Our products will impact people’s everyday lives. It’s an exciting thing to be part of. We need you.
The Canadian Digital Service is focused on delivering better public services using the best technology and design, all informed by people’s needs. We’re hiring people at all levels of experience in Ottawa, Toronto, Waterloo, and Montreal.
We’re hiring a quantitative design researcher. You’ll empower the team to move forward by developing metrics and measuring result. You can integrate new quantitative research methodologies into existing product development. You’ll do more than just crunch numbers. You provide a human-centred perspective on data to help us understand the people we serve. You’ll also work with our policy team to help them report metrics back to our stakeholders.
You’ll do all this within the context of our design research team. You cheerfully navigate the constraints of conducting research inside government. You’ll help your fellow CDS team members become better researchers as well. We believe every CDS team member is a researcher in some way. You will advocate for Canadians from all walks of life: the people who use services provided by the Government of Canada.
What we’re looking for:
- You help teams measure how well a product solves problems for the people we serve. You shift between clarifying goals, selecting metrics, and doing data science.
- You introduce quantitative methods to beginners, and serve as a resource for experts. You help qualitative researchers, policy analysts, product managers use your methods.
- You creatively find data about areas where data seems scarce. You build data collection tools for our partners, scrape data from unstructured sources. You are resourceful.
- You establish technical infrastructure to support gathering and sharing key metrics. You can scrape data, use APIs and build databases. You can analyze data, and create tooling to generate insights.
- You champion quantitative and qualitative research as part of the product development process. You present research to skeptical audiences. You can help partners build their own research capabilities.
- You reflect on your research practice. You think about what could make your research more useful, ethical, and efficient. - - You’re also always thinking about how to improve our products and our processes.
- You bring fresh, constructive opinions. You challenge your product team’s assumptions. You speak openly to best represent the people we serve.
- This role differs from data scientist roles. It’s focused on applying data science tools to user experience problems. The best applicant wants to understand people’s needs, not only work with data.
You will be able to:
- Select, design, conduct and present quantitative user experience research methods. Examples include: multivariate testing, benchmarking, large-scale surveys, card sorting, comment clustering.
- Design and validate survey questions using psychometric methods.
- Use and explain (to beginners and experts alike) descriptive and frequentist inferential statistics.
- Use open-source data analysis software. Examples include: R or Python with Pandas.
- Write scripts that scrape, extract and/or transform data from a variety of data sources.
- Configure industry-standard research tools like Google Analytics.
- Work with designers, developers, and product managers to use metrics to make decisions.
- Communicate your methods, findings and ideas verbally and in writing.
- We recognize that everyone brings skills and experiences to the table and that not everyone “checks all the boxes”. Apply anyway! Tell us why you’re the right fit for the job.
At CDS, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it.
We proudly, passionately, and actively strive to make CDS more reflective and inclusive of the society that we serve. We will only be able to deliver better, more accessible, and more inclusive public services if we harness diverse thoughts, experiences, and skills. We work hard to create an environment where different perspectives and experiences are valued. We are committed to helping diverse talent thrive.
CDS welcomes all applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, Veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or family commitments.