We’re hiring a Design Researcher
Last used by CDS December 2018
We’re transforming government. Our products will impact people’s everyday lives. It’s an exciting thing to be part of. We need you.
The Canadian Digital Service is focused on delivering better public services using the best technology and design, all informed by people’s needs. We’re hiring people at all levels of experience in Ottawa, Toronto, Waterloo, and Montreal.
We’re hiring a design researcher. As a researcher, you’ll design, conduct, analyze, and present qualitative research to product teams. You’ll be a key member of a CDS product team and help the team make design decisions based on the insights you discover. You’ll navigate the policy and regulatory constraints of conducting research inside government. You’ll present to partner departments and teach our partners new research skills. You’ll help your fellow CDS team members become better researchers as well, (We believe every CDS team member is a researcher in some way.) Most importantly, you will advocate for the people who use services provided by the Government of Canada; Canadians from all walks of life.
What we’re looking for
- You conduct compelling research that drives product decisions. You lead discovery interviews, observation, and analysis of existing data. You scope research plans that will lead to both short-term and long-term successes.
- You bring users’ voices and perspectives into the service conversation. You choose research methods that elicit the users’ contexts and lived experiences.
- You plan and conduct usability tests, and other lightweight research methods, all in an agile environment.
- You champion user research as a key part of the product development process for our partners. You present research to skeptical audiences and help partners build their own research capabilities.
- You reflect on your research practice. You think about what could make your research more useful, ethical, and efficient. - - You’re also always thinking about how to improve our products and our processes.
- You bring fresh opinions. You’re willing to challenge your product team’s assumptions and speak openly to best represent the users.
- You can plan and conduct research in both French and English.
You will be able to:
- Lead teams through user research planning, facilitation, analysis, and reporting.
- Introduce new methods, frameworks, and practices to your team members.
- Always be learning new ways to be a better researcher. Aware of their own weaknesses and seek help from others.
- Get our teammates and partners excited about conducting their own research by being a supportive team member and guide.
- Never lose sight of how research relates to CDS’ mission of helping Canadians by improving the government that serves them.
- Be non-judgemental and welcoming to research participants and observers of many backgrounds.
- Always question the status quo and push for better practices.
- Challenge your team with your thinking, and you’re open to their challenging yours.
We recognize that everyone brings skills and experiences to the table and that not everyone “checks all the boxes”. Apply anyway! Tell us why you’re the right fit for the job.
At CDS, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it.
We proudly, passionately, and actively strive to make CDS more reflective and inclusive of the society that we serve. We will only be able to deliver better, more accessible, and more inclusive public services if we harness diverse thoughts, experiences, and skills. We work hard to create an environment where different perspectives and experiences are valued. We are committed to helping diverse talent thrive.
CDS welcomes all applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, Veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or family commitments.